Germán Rivas winner of the Bruker prize 2019
The Executive Council of SBE has awarded the 2019 “Manuel Rico” – Bruker prize to:
Dr. Germán Rivas, Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas -CIB, CSIC (Madrid, Spain),
For his outstanding scientific trajectory in the study of interactions, reactivity and structural organization of supramolecular systems in crowded cell-like environments.
About Dr. Germán Rivas
CSIC Research Professor at the Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas – CIB (Madrid, Spain).
Dr. Germán Rivas is a CSIC Research Professor at the CIB, Madrid. He obtained his Ph. D. in Chemistry at the Autónoma University, Madrid, in 1989. He has been a Predoctoral fellow at the Instituto de Química Física Rosasolano (1985-1989), Postdoctoral fellow at the National Institutes of Health – NIH (1990-1992) and the Biocenter of the Univ. Basel (1993) and visiting scholar at the NIH (2007) and the Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry (2018). Since 1994, he works at the CIB, where he assembled the Molecular Interactions Facility and currently coordinates the CSIC-UIMP Master on Molecular and Cellular Integrative Biology.
The research program of his laboratory has three main areas of interest: 1) Biochemistry, biophysics and bottom-up synthetic biology of bacterial division: biochemical organization and reconstruction from the bottom up of minimal divisomes in cell-like test tubes. 2) Intracellular biochemistry: reactivity and organization of macromolecular systems in crowded-phase-separated cell-like environments. 3) Physical biochemistry of macromolecular interactions.
Please, visit the website of the Systems Biochemistry of Bacterial Division group at CIB.
About the “Manuel Rico” – Bruker Prize
Awarded in memory of Professor Manuel Rico, who was a leading biophysicist, member of the SBE, and a Research Professor at the Institute of Chemical Physics ‘Rocasolano’, CSIC (Madrid). He was a pioneer using NMR technologies to study protein structure, stability, dynamics and interactions.
Biophysicist who develope their main activity in Spain. Preference is given to members of the SBE working on Structure/Function problems from a Biophisics perspective.
3000 € and a talk scheduled within the programme of the EBSA 10th ICBP – IUPAP Biophysics Congress (Madrid, 20 – 24 July 2019).
Past winners of this prize
- 2018: F. Javier Luque (Barcelona).
- 2017: Alicia Alonso (Leioa-Bizkaia) and María García-Parajo (Barcelona).
- 2016: Xavier Gomis-Rüth (Barcelona).
- 2015: Juan A. Hermoso (Madrid).
- 2014: Óscar Llorca (Madrid).
- 2013: José Manuel Sánchez Ruiz (Granada) and Félix Ritort (Barcelona).
- 2012: Antonio V. Ferrer Montiel (Elche) and Marta Bruix (Madrid).
- 2011: Ignacio Fita (Barcelona).
- 2010: Modesto Orozco (Barcelona) and José Luis Rodríguez Arrondo (Bilbao).
- 2008: José García de la Torre (Murcia).
- 2006: Jesús Pérez Gil (Madrid).
- 2004: Javier Sancho (Zaragoza).
- 2002: José María Valpuesta (Madrid).
- 2000: Miquel Pons (Barcelona).
- 1998: Rafael Picorel (Zaragoza).
Please, visit the SBE website.