F. Javier Luque winner of the Bruker prize 2018
The Executive Council of SBE has awarded the 2018 “Manuel Rico” – Bruker prize to:
F. Javier Luque, University of Barcelona (Barcelona, Spain),
For his exceptional scientific trajectory in the study of biomolecular systems and design of novel bioactive compounds, using a diverse array of theoretical and computational approaches, from quantum chemistry to classical simulations and molecular modeling.
About Dr. F. Javier Luque
Full Professor in Physical Chemistry at the University of Barcelona (Barcelona, Spain).
Dr. F. Javier Luque is Full Professor in Physical Chemistry at the University of Barcelona. He obtained his PhD degree in Chemistry at the University Autonoma de Barcelona in 1989. He spent research periods at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, University of Pisa and University of Nancy. In 2002 he was awarded the Catalan Distinction for the Promotion of University Research for Young Scientists, and the ICREA Academia award in 2012. He is leading the Computational Biology and Drug Design group in the Institute of Biomedicine, and is also member of the Institute of Theoretical and Computational Chemistry at the University of Barcelona.
The main focus of his research is the study of biomolecular systems using the theoretical and computational methods of quantum chemistry, classical simulations and molecular modeling. Special emphasis is made on the structure-dynamics-function relationships in proteins, the molecular determinants of biomolecular association and the design of novel bioactive compounds, specifically in drug discovery.
Please, visit the website of the Computational biology and drug design group at the University of Barcelona.
About the “Manuel Rico” – Bruker Prize
Awarded in memory of Professor Manuel Rico, who was a leading biophysicist, member of the SBE, and a Research Professor at the Institute of Chemical Physics ‘Rocasolano’, CSIC (Madrid). He was a pioneer using NMR technologies to study protein structure, stability, dynamics and interactions.
Biophysicist who develope their main activity in Spain. Preference is given to members of the SBE working on Structure/Function problems from a Biophisics perspective.
3000 € and a talk delivered by the awardee during a special session of the 6th Iberian / 10th Iberoamerican Biophysics Congress (Castellón, Spain June 20 – 22, 2018).
Past winners of this prize
- 2017: Alicia Alonso (Leioa-Bizkaia) and María García-Parajo (Barcelona).
- 2016: Xavier Gomis-Rüth (Barcelona).
- 2015: Juan A. Hermoso (Madrid).
- 2014: Óscar Llorca (Madrid).
- 2013: José Manuel Sánchez Ruiz (Granada) and Félix Ritort (Barcelona).
- 2012: Antonio V. Ferrer Montiel (Elche) and Marta Bruix (Madrid).
- 2011: Ignacio Fita (Barcelona).
- 2010: Modesto Orozco (Barcelona) and José Luis Rodríguez Arrondo (Bilbao).
- 2008: José García de la Torre (Murcia).
- 2006: Jesús Pérez Gil (Madrid).
- 2004: Javier Sancho (Zaragoza).
- 2002: José María Valpuesta (Madrid).
- 2000: Miquel Pons (Barcelona).
- 1998: Rafael Picorel (Zaragoza).
Please, visit the SBE website.