Open position for Scientific Director of Biophysics Research Center, Scientific Park, Biscay
DEADLINE: October 16th, 2017.
Biophysics Research Center is a science institute in frontier research and translational excellence at a molecular and cell level in the field of biophysics and their application in the areas of biotechnology and health. The Centre aims at serving as a channel for bringing the interest of basic research in biophysics closer to the productive and service sectors of our society.
Biophysics Research Center is part of the network of Basque excellence Research Centers – BERCs funded by the Basque Government, in alliance with the Biofisika Institute of CSIC and the University of the Basque Country.
The Center has recently moved to a brand new research building with state of the art facilities at the Scientific Campus of the University of the Basque Country near Bilbao. The new Scientific Director should prove excellent scientific quality paired with human resources leadership that will lead the consolidation of the center for the future years. Applicants should have a strong scientific background in any of the areas of expertise of the Center. Only researchers with a solid research track, senior level and international research experience will be considered.
The Scientific Director should be a person with a proven research track record in the area of biophysics. She/He should also have experience in managing a research institution and have international reputation in the field. The candidates may also demonstrate a record of invited presentations in well-established international conferences, granted projects, awards, prizes etc.
- The Scientific Director should be a person with a proven track record in the area of biophysics and at least 15 years research experience after the completion of the PhD.
- Leadership in human resources in science – at least 5 years track record in managing science and research teams on various levels and skills and experience in supporting and nurturing new scientists.
- Demonstrated experience and a long-term successful track record in obtaining research funding and managing and directing scientific research programmes, including a commitment to scientific excellence and accompanying energy, enthusiasm, and innovative thinking necessary to
facilitate and foster research efforts at the forefront of science.
- Strong sense of responsibility, initiative and self-motivation along with an ambition to develop the research center to a world-class standard.
- Proven capacity to take decisions, both at strategic and operational level.
- Language: English proficiency
Duties and responsibilities
Reporting to the Board and to the Scientific Advisory Committee (ISAC) of the researchcenter, the Scientific Director as leader of the research center will:
- Implement the strategy for the 2018 – 2021 period.
- Define the long term research strategy and research lines of the center.
- Propose and deploy the annual scientific plan of the center.
- Set and be responsible for the accomplishment of the overall objectives of the center.
- Obtain national and international research funding.
- Identify and attract the necessary research personnel at senior and junior level, with a special commitment to coaching, mentoring and development of Research Line leaders.
- Develop the international research connections of the center.
- Be capable and skilled at media relations and public speaking with both scientific and lay audiences.
Interested candidates should send a letter of interest, including a brief description of research and leadership experience and CV to: email@example.com.
- Opening date: September 18 th , 2017.
- Closing date: October 16 th , 2017 (17:00 PM, CET).
- Collection of CVs until the end of the call.
- Pre-screening of candidates by Selection Committee.
- Interviews of preselected candidates by Selection Committee in Bilbao.
- Final appointment: decision by the Board.
The envisaged starting date of the position will be early 2018 (or at the earliest convenience of the appointed candidate).