CNIC International PhD Program
Funded by “la Caixa” – Severo Ochoa
Programme description from CNIC website:
In the context of the CNIC International PhD Programme, la “Caixa” – Severo Ochoa, we are seeking exceptional and highly motivated PhD students interested in receiving ample cross-disciplinary training in state-of-the-art basic and applied cardiovascular research.
“La Caixa” Foundation is a non-profit organisation, which receives its funding from the third biggest financial group in Spain: Caja de Ahorros y Pensiones de Barcelona, “La Caixa”. In terms of budget and business volume, the “la Caixa” Foundation is among the ten most important Foundations in the world. Since 1982, the “la Caixa” Foundation has run various fellowship programmes to enable Spanish students to study postgraduate courses in Spain and other countries.
“la Caixa” Foundation has selected the Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Cardiovasculares (CNIC; Spanish National Cardivascular Research Centre) as one of the Spanish centers of excellence for the first edition of the Severo Ochoa Award. A complete list of Severo Ochoa awarded institutions can be found in this link
Number and duration of fellowships
The present call offers 2 PhD scholarships each for a period of 4 years.
This call is opened to candidates of any nationality.
At the time of the deadline for submission of their application, eligible candidates must fulfill the following requirements:
- Should have obtained a degree in Biomedical Sciences within the European Higher Education Area, with a minimum of 240 + 60 ECTS, which should qualify for starting a PhD thesis in their home country. Non-European University degrees should be equivalent to a European MSc. Students.
- The applicant’s studies should have been completed no more than two years ago.
- Applicants must have an excellent academic record and previous research experience.
- They must have a solid working knowledge of English.
- They may not have had a scientific relationship with CNIC for more than six consecutive months before the closing date for application (6th of March 2015). This includes any research activity carried out by the student within the facilities of CNIC or using CNIC funds.
The successfull candidates will obtain full financial support, including tuition. During the four years of the program, students will receive an employment contract with a gross annual salary of:
- 18.546,56 € – First year
- 19.303,56 € – Second year
- 20.666,16 € – Third year
- 22.558,67 € – Fourth year
The awardees will receive an additional annual allowance (1,500 € for fist and second year, 1,700 € for third and fourth year) to cover miscellaneous expenses, such as University fees and costs derived from attendance to international congresses and/or stays in international research centres.
All students will join the CNIC predoctoral programme. The rules governing this programme can be found in the web page of CNIC.
Deadline and instructions to apply
Applications must be placed exclusively online, not later than March 6th 2015.
- For a complete information, please visit the Call website.
- A complete list of “la Caixa” – Severo Ochoa awarded institutions can be found in a speccific news post in this site.