Winners of 2014 Call of ‘Severo Ochoa’ and ‘María de Maeztu’ Excellence Awards
The “Severo Ochoa Centres of Excellence” and “María de Maeztu Units of Excellence” Support and Accreditation is a programme of the Secretary of State for Research, Development and Innovation of the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness that aims to promote excellence in scientific research in Spain.
The Ministry for Economy and Competitiveness (Government of Spain) has announced the list of winners of ‘Severo Ochoa’ and ‘María de Maeztu’ Excellence Awards. The successful candidate Research Centers and Units were selected by an international panel of more than 70 judges. This Excellence Programme identifies and promotes research Centres and Units in Spain that stand out as international references in their fields.
Benefits of Accreditation
Accreditation as a “Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence” or “María de Maeztu Unit of Excellence” has a duration of four years and includes:
- One million Euros per year for each of the centres in this period. 500.000 Euros per year for each of the units.
- Priority access to initiatives of the Secretariat of State for Research, Development and Innovation.
- A boost to the reputation and social and scientific recognition.
New Accredited Centers and Units:
Severo Ochoa Excellence Centers
- Instituto de Física Corpuscular – IFIC, joint centre of CSIC and University of Valencia. IFIC is leader in experimental and theoretical research in Nuclear, Particle and Astroparticle Physics and its applications to Medical Physics and to other fields of Science and Technology.
- Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia – IBEC (Barcelona). This is a multidisciplinary center of the highest international level in a number of fields including Biophysics, Materials Science and Biothechnology.
María de Maeztu Units of Excellence
- Institute of Cosmos Sciences – ICCUB, Universitat de Barcelona. Interdisciplinary research centre that brings together scientists from the Departments of Astronomy and Meteorology, Structure and Constituents of Matter, Fundamental Physics, Applied Mathematics, Organic Chemistry and Electronics.
- Department of Experimental and Health Sciences – DCEXS, Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona). Research centre with international presence and recognition in the fields of molecular biology and biomedicine.
- Condensed Matter Physics Center – IFIMAC, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid. It comprises researchers from several University departments aiming to advance the limits of knowledge in both theoretical and experimental Condensed Matter Physics.
- Department of Economy, Carlos III University (Madrid). Performs research at the highest level in Monetary and Financial Studies, Econometrics, Macroeconomics and Microeconomics.
- Structural Biology Unit, Molecular Biology Institute of Barcelona – IBMB, CSIC. SB-IBMB fosters high quality research in the fields of molecular biology and biomedicine, contributing both at the academic and technology transfer.
- Barcelona Graduate School of Mathematics – BGSMath. It is a joint initiative of the research groups in Mathematics of the four promoting institutions: Facultat de Matemàtiques of the Universitat de Barcelona, Departament de Matemàtiques of the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Facultat de Matemàtiques i Estadística of the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya and Centre de Recerca Matemàtica.
Severo Ochoa” Centres of Excellence and “María de Maeztu” Units of Excellence. Accreditation and Support.